Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Extra Special, Multiple Post Oil Extravaganza (Part 1)

This is the first of a four-part blog series on Oil. The series will deal with the topic of oil depletion. This was the topic of a collaborative project I was apart of earlier in the year. The next four blog will each highlight one of the four main points of the project . The first installment of the series will deal with The Peak Oil Theory... Bon Appetit...probably spelled that wrong.



The Peak Oil Theory

The Peak oil theory is simple enough. The theory is a claim that oil is not in unlimited supply and will soon (or according to some, already has) reach a peak level in supply, then deplete until all is gone. The graph below illustrates the theory.





Source: www.oilcrisis.com/summary.htm



In the graph above, the estimated peak oil level is around the year 2000. If this is true, the world's oil supply is in the decline.

My Opinion (If You Really Want It)

Of course there's a limited supply of oil. Nothing is unlimited (except for the number of times I can use parenthesis). The only problem with the peak oil theory is "how do we know its all really gone."There may be reserves we haven't tapped in to yet that could save the situation entirely. But again, how would we know? There are known reserves in Alaska that could both increase the world supply and AND help the United States economy a great deal by increasing our net exports on the international trade market. But the hippies won't let us so there goes that idea...whatever.

So What Do We Do?...in my opinion


To combat this threat, the world will need to work together to free our need for oil. The best way to do this will be by finding alternative fuels and alternative sources of power. The last blog in the series will discuss ideas to do just that. So stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Blake,
    If I were your teacher, I would give you an A+ just for this amazing literary article. Also yes bon appetit is spelled right other than missing one accent, it's ok though :). Also you did have me concerned in the My Opinion section, as you were describing hacking into new oil farms and further depleting our oil resources. But you did ratify the situation, and I couldn't agree with you more. We desperately need new alternate forms of energy. Or maybe this is just my own whimsical thinking but I think it would be nice of our government to stop accepting "contributions" from large oil companies and require Ford and other vehicle manufacturers to create a more fuel efficient vehicles. In fact in other countries where gas is not as easy to come by as here in America, cars fuel efficiencies can go as high as nearly 60 mpg. Which here in America is absolutely unheard of.
    Kyle Randolph
    P.S. I can't wait for your next blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how nice Kyle is to you... Blake all of your blogs are God's gift to the earth. Alec, your blogs are horribly written and you are the definition of how not to be a writer. Well, I thought it was indeed a good blog and I respect the knowledge you have on your subject while I just throw wild opinions and life experiences into peoples faces. You're concise, informative, and hold my interest in the most BORING of subjects. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete